Saturday, March 24, 2012

UC Browser: 0 to 18% India market share in 7 months

I was looking through a pretty interesting site that tracks internet browser usage trends and naturally was curious about mobile browser statistics in India. Opera was and is #1. Nokia is #2. But the real story was a contender coming out of nowhere to capture nearly 18% of the market to be close to being #2. What is this browser making giant inroads into the Indian mobile user base? UC Browser.

Source: StatCounter Global Stats - Mobile Browser Market Share


Digging deeper, I found it's not the upstart that I assumed it to be. Apparently, UC is the most popular mobile browser in China.  That's all well and good but this is a Chinese export doing well in India. Normally, all I hear are stories about their own special versions of Twitter, Groupon and Facebook for internal consumption. A Chinese browser doing well outside China? That's curious,to say the least. What is driving this adoption?  I poked around till I found their patent page which, to me, appears to doing a much better job of selling the browser than their main page! I was surprised to see that the UC Browser has a lot of features such as page compression to save bandwidth and cloud-accelerated browsing. So, for a cost-conscious country like India, I can see the appeal. If I saw "save on bandwidth consumption", I'd just skip to the end and click the big bright download button.


No comments:

Post a Comment